Exit site
survivors manchester

Useful Links


Looking for specialist support, advice and information?…

Want to find a service out there that works with specific issues?…

Well this is the place that we have tried to ensure we have listed them so that you can contact them. Right across the UK there are hundreds of agencies, charities and organisations carrying out some fantastic work with a wide range of people, illnesses, disorders and issues.

We thought long and hard about what categories to use; what organisations to list, (and what organisations to leave out); basically what may be useful and what maybe not. What we decided was that as we’re Manchester based we should really concentrate on local and regional organisations and support services – it was felt that you’re more likely to find this useful. However, we have listed a few national organisations but mainly those that work specifically with male survivors and male sexual abuse.

All the links and contact details have been checked, prior to publishing, however, if you find any information detailed below to be incorrect or broken links, please let us know and we will endeavour to rectify this immediately.

Click on one of the following resource tabs below to open the relevant directory page.

Our Directory

Services Directory

A collection of services male survivors in Greater Manchester
may find useful in their healing journey

If you have any comments, compliments or criticisms of the services listed
or missing from the list, please let us know by emailing us on [email protected] or calling 0161 236 2182

(Please note: Inclusion in the directory is not an
indication of quality assurance or our recommendation)

Abuse Services

National Services

Directory and Books Service

The specialist book and information service for people who are overcoming childhood abuse, sexual abuse or domestic violence – and for those of us who work with us

Men’s Advice Line

A confidential helpline for all men experiencing domestic violence by a current or ex-partner. This includes all men — in heterosexual or same-sex relationships.
[email protected]
0808 801 0327

NAPAC (National Association of People Abused in Childhood)

A registered charity, based in the UK, providing support and information for people abused in childhood.
0808 085 3330 (Support Line: Mon-Fri @ 10am-1pm & 2pm-5pm)

The Survivors Trust

National umbrella organisation for over 120 voluntary rape and sexual abuse specialist support services.
01788 550 554 (This is not a support line: General office hours only)

Survivors UK

London based. national support organisation providing support, advice, information and helpline for male survivors of sexual abuse and rape.
[email protected]
0845 122 1201 (Support line: Mon/Tue/Thur @ 7pm-10pm)

18 Plus

A Scottish organisation supporting male survivors of sexual abuse and rape, regardless of when the events happened.

Regional and Local Services

Antisocial Behaviour Action Team

A city council initiative to work with and support those who are affected by antisocial behaviour.
[email protected]
0161 234 4612

Independent Domestic Violence Advice Service

A free and confidential service providing advice and support to those experiencing or who have experienced domestic violence and abuse.
[email protected]
0161 234 5393

Lantern Project

A Merseyside based organisation providing support to adult survivors of all kinds of violence and abuse.

Man’s Refuge

North Derbyshire Women’s Aid have opened one of the few refuges for men fleeing domestic violence and abuse. All men over 16 are welcome and more information can be found on their website.

St. Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre

Offering high quality, comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and medical services to males and females in Greater Manchester who have experienced rape or sexual assault.
[email protected]
0161 276 6515

Victim Support

A free and independent service helping Manchester residents cope with the effects of crime, by providing confidential support and information to victims of crime and to witnesses attending local courts.
[email protected]
0845 456 88 00

Black Minority Ethnic

Regional and Local Services


The BHA objectives are to protect and preserve good health and well-being in particular by promoting the good health and well-being of marginalised communities through engagement, education, support services, professional advice and training.
[email protected]
0845 450 4247


The Mix-d concept is designed to create a voice for a silent group who may experience confusion, conflict, or misunderstanding about their racial identity… and to bring richness and colour to the lives of some mix-d people for whom everything to date has been simply Black or White.
[email protected]
0161 868 0034

African & Caribbean Mental Health Services

A local organisation providing support to African and African Caribbean people aged 18 to 65 suffering from mental ill health. Services include counselling, casework, advocacy, advice, and support to prisoners in Manchester.
0161 226 9562 / 0161 912 4829

Manchester Advice Linkworker Service

The Linkworker Service provides advice workers who speak a range of different languages spoken within minority ethnic communities within Manchester. Advice can be offered on a wide range of issues from benefits to health and legal services.
0161 245 7055 (African Caribbeans)
0161 245 7053 (Africans)
0161 245 7070 (Arabic)
0161 245 7056 (Bangla/Sylheti)
0161 245 7068 (Bonsian)
0161 245 7058 (Chinese)
0161 245 7065 (Gujarati/Kutchi)
0161 245 7059 (Somali)
0161 245 7064 (Urdu/Punjabi)
0161 245 7067 (Vietnamese)

Pakistani Resource Centre

Counselling, emotional and practical support to Asian individuals experiencing mental ill health, their carers and families.
[email protected]
0161 434 7800

Wai Yin – Kwan Wai Project

The project offers one to one support and advice, provides a drop-in on Fridays, and assists people in accessing all levels of mental health care.
[email protected]
0161 833 0377


Regional and Local Services

Carers Advice, Information and Advocacy Service

A free and confidential advice, information and advocacy service for anyone who is concerned about care for their relatives.
[email protected]
0161 834 6069

Manchester Carers Centre

Provides a wide range of information, advice, advocacy, emotional support and practical support for carers in Manchester.
[email protected]
0161 272 7274

Care Leavers

Historically, sexual abuse has been associated and linked in public perception with the care system with thousands of boys suffering at the hands of those that were meant to care for them. The Care Leavers Association is a national user led charity run by by care leavers for care leavers and aims to

“to bring together the voices of care leavers of all ages so that we improve the current care system, improve the quality of life of care leavers throughout their life and change for the better society’s perception of people who have been in care”

What the CLA Does

A large part of our work involves providing advise to care leavers and directing them to services that can help them. We are often contacted by young people from care, or who have just left care, who want to know about their entitlements or to get advice on certain issues, such as housing, education and employment etc. However, we also get many enquiries from older adults, who were in care as children, on issues such as access to records, abuse in care and family tracing. Where we do not have the resources in-house to deal with an enquiry we direct people to organisations that can provide further help and information.

Leaving care

The leaving care process can be a challenging and confusing time for many young people. These pages are dedicated to advice and information aimed at making that process a better and less difficult one. If there is any information missing from this section, which you think should be included, please do get in touch and let us know.


Access to Records

The CLA has compiled a booklet entitled A Guide to Accessing Childhood Case Records which is available from the CLA’s national office in Manchester (see our contact details at the bottom of this page). The booklet is the best source of information that is available on this topic and is focused solely on accessing care files. The booklet is free of charge to care leavers and can be obtained by sending an A5-sized stamped addressed envelope to the Manchester office. Alternatively, care leavers may choose to give a donation to the CLA. For other individuals, the cost of the booklet is £2.00.

You can also download a copy of the booklet from the Care Leavers website by clicking on the following link here: Access to Records

Contact The CLA

If you have a query, you can contact us a number of ways as follows:

  • By Telephone: 0161 236 1980 or local rate 0845 308 2755
  • On Email: [email protected]
  • In writing: The Care Leavers Association, Unit 27, Phase 1 Express Networks, 1 George Leigh Street, Manchester, M4 5DL

Debt, Money

Regional and Local Services

Greater Manchester Pay and Employment Rights Advice Service

Providing free confidential employment advice, information and support to anyone in Greater Manchester who is experiencing problems at work.
[email protected]
0161 839 3888

Manchester Advice

City Council’s advice service. Covering benefits, tax credits, debt, housing and consumer issues.
[email protected]
0161 234 5600

Manchester Citizens Advice Bureaux

Providing free, confidential, independent and impartial advice that helps people to resolve their legal, financial or other problems.

Disorder & Illness

National Services

Brain & Spinal Cord

BrainandSpinalCord.org is an USA based website that aims to be the most reliable, timely and complete resource on the internet for brain injury and spinal cord injury survivors. Our hope is that this site will become relied upon as a trustworthy resource for the community and for those who are searching for information.

Cancer Research

The UK’s leading charity dedicated to cancer research. Website offers information, advice and signposting to support services.
0808 800 4040 (Supportline: Mon-Fri @ 9am-5pm)

The National Autistic Society

The National Autistic Society is the leading charity for autistic spectrum disorders in the UK. It has a membership of over 11,000, a network of 65 branches, and 60 affiliated organisations in autism..
0845 070 4004

Terrence Higgins Trust

Long standing national charity supporting people with HIV/AIDS, offering information, safer sex, online booklets and a help line.
0845 1221 200 (Supportline: Mon-Fri @ 10am-10pm and Sat-Sun @ 12noon-6pm)

Men Get Eating Disorders Too (MGEDT)

‘Men Get Eating Disorders Too’ is a UK based charity dedicated to representing and supporting the needs of men with eating disorders.
[email protected]

Regional and Local Services

Alzheimers Society Manchester

The UK’s leading care and research charity for people with dementia.
[email protected]
0161 203 6434

George House Trust

George House Trust is the HIV Voluntary Organisation for the North West of England. We support people living with and affected by HIV and campaign for the best quality of life for all people with HIV.
0161 274 4499

Head Forward

Part of National Headway Association, this organisation aims to make available easily accessible day centres for people with brain injurys.
[email protected]
0808 800 2244

North West Centre for Eating Disorders

Offers a wide range of services to anyone with eating disorders and support to their families/carers.
[email protected]
0161 480 0882

Drugs & Alcohol

National Services

Talk to Frank

24 hours a day, 365 days a year, FRANK is around to give you FREE and confidential info on drugs.
0800 77 66 00

Solve It

A confidential information, support, advice, advocacy and signposting service to all those affected by volatile solvent abuse.
[email protected]
01536 510 010

Regional and Local Services

Addiction Dependency Solutions

A free service to those over 19 who has problems with alcohol or drug misuse, or is concerned about a family member or friend.
[email protected]
0161 272 8844

Lifeline Manchester

A confidential service supporting adults over 19 with all drug issues.
[email protected]
0161 839 2054

Manchester Community Alcohol Team

Alcohol Linkworkers provide specialist advice and support to help people reduce the amount they drink, stabilise their drinking, or consider abstinence.
0161 225 9293

Gay, Bisexual

National Services


A national charity working for equality and justice for lesbians, gay men and bisexuals.
[email protected]
08000 50 20 20

Regional and Local Services

The LGBT Foundation

Aiming to provide more direct services and resources to more lesbian, gay and bisexual people than any other charity of its kind in the UK.
0845 3 30 30 30

Lesbian & Gay Youth Manchester

We provide a safe space for LGBT young people to feel safe and at ease in, offering a wide range of activities, campaigns, and signposting into other services.
[email protected]
0161 273 7838

Queer Youth Network

The Queer Youth Network is a national non-profit making organisation that is run by and for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBT) Young People and is based in the United Kingdom.
[email protected]
0870 383 4796


Regional and Local Services

Manchester City Council Housing

Manchester City Council’s housing information portal.
[email protected]
0161 234 5000 (General: Mon to Fri @ 8.45am-5.00pm)
0161 224 6452 (Emergency Homeless People)

Manchester Homefinder

Operated by Manchester City Council, Homefinder advertises homes on behalf of about 20 Manchester landlords. The landlords decide the rules about re-housing priorities and who gets offered homes.

Shelter – Greater Manchester Housing Aid Centre

Whatever the housing problem, Shelter can tell you your rights, explain what options you have and help you take action.
[email protected]
0344 515 1640


Making a complaint to the Police or taking legal action against the perpetrator(s) of abuse can be a difficult, confusing and sometimes emotionally painful process. Therefore we have asked our friends at Abney Garsden McDonald Solicitors to help us provide you with as much information as possible, without creating any more confusion by using legal jargon.

Principal solicitor and Vice-President of Association of Child Abuse Lawyers, Peter Garsden, had this to say,

“We are a team of solicitors and ancillary staff who are committed to helping the victims of abuse claim their legal rights and find whatever legal remedies are available to them. We are the largest dedicated team of specialised lawyers in the field in the country. We know that a trip to see a solicitor can be at best, the cause of great apprehension and anxiety, but the team here at Abney Garsden McDonald are committed to making the relationship between you and us as comfortable as possible. Commitment to clients, together with a willingness to acquire knowledge and listen empathetically, are important to us. We are proud to be able to offer support to We Are Survivors as an organisation and it’s members”

The following is a brief run down of key points in the legal proceedings of making a case against the perpetrator:

  1. Report the abuse to the Police. Any case for compensation is much stronger if the police have already prosecuted the abuser. Even if the police have not brought a case against the abuser, the fact that a complaint has been made will help a lot.
  2. Funding. Before we can take on a case we need to find a method of paying our fees, which varies from Legal Aid to “No Win No Fee” Agreements, or private arrangements depending on the merits of the case and your financial situation.
  3. Evidence. We have to prove the case with a statement from you and any other witnesses. We are also interested in speaking to any other victims of the abuser. Supportive evidence is vital to the case.
  4. Records. We need to obtain any records that exist from doctors, social services, schools etc. They often prove that you went to the institution where you allege abuse, or contain evidence of complaints you made (if applicable). The records often document a history of psychiatric harm, which is vital.
  5. Medical Report. We must show that as a result of the abuse you have suffered physical or mental injury. Armed with the records, we will instruct an independent expert to give us a report on your injuries. It will be necessary for you to spend a few hours with him/her.
  6. Once we have assembled all our evidence we will put your case to the person responsible, who could be the abuser him/herself, or the employers of him/her. Some of our cases involve bringing a case against statutory agencies such as Social Services, for such things as ‘lack of care’.
  7. If we cannot get an admission of liability it may be necessary to start court proceedings. This is time consuming and can take from 2+ years from start to finish.
  8. If the police prosecute it is quite likely that you will have to give evidence against the perpetrator in court. The police can best advise you about this. Most compensation cases settle without going to court. In less than 5% of compensation cases would you have to give evidence in court.
  9. The rule in most compensation cases (unless we advise you to the contrary) is that the loser pays the winner’s costs. Therefore you should normally get 100% of your compensation.
  10. Initial advice costs nothing. We advise people free of charge all the time, and only take cases on if we think they have legal merit.

We are also delighted to be able to provide you with two essential guides for anyone thinking about, beginning or going through legal proceedings. They can be downloaded by clicking the relevant buttons below.

A Short Guide to Court Case

A Legal Overview for Child Abuse Survivors

If you would like further information or to talk one of the legal team, please contact Abney Garsden McDonald, quoting “We Are Survivors”, at:

A: 37 Station Road, Cheadle Hulme, Cheshire. SK8 5AF
T: 0161 482 8822
E: [email protected]

or go to the website at www.abuselaw.co.uk


National Services

Disability Rights UK

Disability Rights UK is be led, run and controlled by disabled people, with disabled people making up at least three-quarters of its board members.
[email protected]
020 7250 3222

Disabled Living Foundation

A national charity that provides free, impartial advice about all types of daily living equipment for disabled adults and children, older people, their carers and families.
[email protected]
0845 130 9177


Respond provides a range of services to both victims and perpetrators of sexual abuse who have learning disabilities and those who have been affected by other trauma.
[email protected]
020 7383 0700

Royal National Institute of Blind People

The UK’s leading charity offering information, support and advice to over two million people with sight loss.
[email protected]
0303 123 9999

Royal National Institute for the Deaf

Offering a range of services for deaf and hard of hearing people and provide information and support on all aspects of deafness, hearing loss and tinnitus.
[email protected]
0808 808 0123 (telephone) / 0808 808 9000 (textphone)

Regional and Local Services

Henshaws Society for Blind People

Friendly point-of-diagnosis service, offering ongoing support, information and signposting for people with visual impairment.
[email protected]
0161 872 1234

Manchester Deaf Centre

A place for deaf, deaf blind, and hard of hearing to meet, socialise, and get receive support, information and advice.
[email protected]
0161 273 3415 (minicom)

Manchester Learning Disability Supportership

A Merseyside based organisation providing support to adult survivors of all kinds of violence and abuse.
0161 234 3598

Better Things

Support for people with learning difficulties and their families.
[email protected]
0161 728 7616

Mental Health

National Services

Borderline UK

A user-led national organisation that provides information and support on issues around Borderline Personality Disorder.
[email protected]

Combat Stress

Organisation offering advice, treatment and rehabilitation to people who have served in the armed forces.
[email protected]
01372 841 600

Depression Alliance

Working to relieve and to prevent this treatable condition by providing information and support services to those who are affected by it via our publications, supporter services and network of self-help groups for people affected by depression.
[email protected]
0845 123 23 20

Manic Depression Fellowship

Offers information, membership and links to sources of help.
[email protected]
08456 340 540


Mind is the leading mental health charity in England and Wales. We work to create a better life for everyone with experience of mental distress.
[email protected]
0845 766 0163

National Phobics Society

Offering support to people experiencing anxiety disorders.
[email protected]
08444 775 774

National Self Harm Network

Supports survivors of self harm and those people who currently self harm.
[email protected]
0800 622 6000 (7pm – 11pm Thursday-Saturday, 6.10pm – 10.30pm Sunday)


OCD-UK is the leading national charity, independently working with and for people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.
[email protected]
0845 120 3778 (Not a supportline, admin enquires only)

Personality Disorder UK

Provides information, resources and learning opportunities on Personality Disorder (PD) as well as supporting the development of the National Personality Disorder Programme.


Working together to help everyone affected by severe mental illness recover a better quality of life.
[email protected]
0845 456 0455


Sane was established in 1986 to improve the quality of life for people affected by mental illness.
[email protected]
0845 767 8000 (Supportline: 1pm to 11pm)

Regional and Local Services

Alternatives to Violence Project

A national organisation (with a Manchester office) that provides workshops in anger management and negotiating peaceful relationships.
0161 832 3660

Crisis Point

Mental health crisis support centre where people can manage or resolve their crisis and develop strategies to prevent or better manage crises in future.
0161 225 9500

Cruse Bereavement Care

Promotes the well-being of bereaved people and enables anyone bereaved by death to understand their grief and cope with their loss.
[email protected]
0161 236 8103

Hearing Voices Network

If you hear voices HVN can help we are committed to helping people who hear voices. Our reputation is growing as the limitations of a solely medical approach to voices become better known.
[email protected]
0114 271 8210

Mood Swings Network

Support for people, their families and friends, who are affected by mood disorders.
[email protected]
0845 123 60 50

Primary Care Mental Health Team (Manchester)

NHS services are divided into those that offer support and treatment for common mental health problems and those that offer support and treatment for serious mental illnesses.
North Manchester: 0161 231 0017
Central Manchester: 0161 861 2236
South Manchester: 0161 946 8260

Self Help Services

Self Help Services is a user-led, mental health charity housed within Big Life Group – a collection of social businesses and charities.
[email protected]
0844 477 9971

Refugee / Asylum

National Services

Refugee Council

The Refugee Council is the largest refugee agency in the UK providing advice to asylum seekers and refugees.
0207 346 6700

Regional and Local Services

Freedom From Torture

A national organisation (with a Manchester office) that provides workshops in anger management and negotiating peaceful relationships.
0161 236 5744

Refugee Action – Manchester

Gives practical support and advice to refugees and promotes their rights in the UK and abroad.
[email protected]
0800 917 2719

RAPAR (Refugee and Asylum Seeker Participatory Action Research)

A Manchester-based human rights organisation working with people, both locally and further afield, who are at risk of having their rights denied.
[email protected]
0161 834 8221

Sexual Health

National Services

British Association for Sexual Health & HIV

The British Association for Sexual Health and HIV was formed in 2003 through the merger of the Medical Society for the Study of Venereal Diseases and the Association for Genitourinary Medicine. This is the Associations website.

Department of Health (UK)

The Department of Health’s main Sexual Health web pages containing general related information and guidance and current sexual health and HIV strategies and policies.

Family Planning Association

The UK’s leading sexual health charity. Our purpose is to enable people in the UK to make informed choices about sex and to enjoy sexual health.
[email protected]
0845 122 8690 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday – except bank holidays)

Terrence Higgins Trust

Long standing national charity supporting people with HIV/AIDS, offering information, safer sex, online booklets and a help line.
0845 1221 200 (Supportline: Mon-Fri @ 10am-10pm and Sat-Sun @ 12noon-6pm)

Regional and Local Services


Free confidential counselling, sex and sexual health advice to young people up to the age of 19 years old.
[email protected]
0161 237 3001

George House Trust

George House Trust is the HIV Voluntary Organisation for the North West of England. We support people living with and affected by HIV and campaign for the best quality of life for all people with HIV.
0161 274 4499

Manchester Centre for Sexual Health

Sexual Health / GU Clinic based at The Hathersage Centre, MRI.
0161 276 5200

North Manchester Centre for Sexual Health

Sexual Health / GU Clinic based at North Manchester General Hospital.
0161 276 5200

South Manchester Centre for Sexual Health

Sexual Health / GU Clinic based at Withington Community Hospital.
0161 217 4939

The Sexual Health Network

The network is seen as vehicle to improve impetus in the system to meet targets and make positive changes to improve Sexual Health services across Greater Manchester. You can find information on local clinics, programmes, etc.

Being a victim of any kind of crime can be frightening and upsetting. But rape and sexual assault are particularly distressing crimes for the victim and the effects can last for a long time. And men can find this kind of attack difficult to deal with because this is widely, but wrongly, thought of as a crime that only affects women. Many men feel ashamed or embarassed because of this, but it is estimated that around 1 in 20 men have been sexually assaulted at least once in their lifetime.

As everybody is different, it is not easy to know exactly how you will feel. But it’s very likely that you are going though some very intense emotions. People who’ve been through this describe feeling frightened, guilty, powerless, angry, ashamed and depressed, and having difficulty eating, sleeping or concentrating. Many victims feel that they have lost control over their lives and lose their self-esteem. Some find it very difficult to deal with the intimate aspects of the crime, especially when they have to talk to other people about what has happened.

If you’ve been assaulted by a partner or someone else you know, the effects may be even greater. As well as the experience itself you’ve had your trust abused and this can affect your relationship with other people, both now and in the future. You might also be worried about how friends and family are going to react. But never forget that whoever the attacker was, it’s not your fault.

A few facts about rape and male victims

Men can be victims of sexual attack regardless of their sexual orientation. And while the attacker is more often male, men can be and are sexually assaulted by women. Rape and other forms of sexual assault are violent crimes that involve sexual acts and while the sexuality of those involved can sometimes be a factor, it is frequently not. For many attackers, the most significant thing is that they are taking control of the victim, expressing anger or seeking to hurt someone – albeit through a forced sexual act.

If you have been a victim of this kind of crime you may naturally start to think about issues of sexuality. You may wonder if the attacker was gay, straight or bisexual. You may also worry about whether or not it has implications for your own sexuality. Some men are particularly upset because they may have become physically aroused during the attack and worry about what this could mean. But if this has happened to you, you should remember that this is likely to have been a purely physical reaction, like a reflex, over which you may have no control.

These are issues that concern many victims of sexual assault and it can be helpful to talk to someone, like one of our volunteers, about this and other fears or worries you may have.

We can help

Our services are confidential, free and available to anyone who’s been raped or sexually assaulted, now or in the past. We can help, regardless of whether you have told the police or anyone else about the attack.

Our volunteers can visit you at home (if you want us to, and if doing so will not put you at further risk) or somewhere else if you prefer. If you don’t want to see anyone face-to-face, you can also talk to us on the ‘phone, either at one of our local offices or at the national Victim Supportline on 0845 30 30 900 (calls charged at the local rate).

If you choose to report the attack, we can go to the police station with you. If you give evidence in court, our Witness Service can help you to cope with the experience. We can also give you information about compensation.

Health issues

You may be worried about sexually transmitted infections (STIs) after a rape or sexual attack. If you are over 16, hospitals and doctors must see you in complete confidence, and will not tell the police unless you ask them to. Even if you are under 16 most doctors will try to keep what has happened to you as confidential as possible. If you prefer not to use your own GP there are many clinics which offer free and confidential testing and advice.

Sexually transmitted infections

Even if you have no symptoms, a check up for STIs is a sensible precaution after a rape or sexual assault. You can get help and advice from your GP or practice nurse, family planning clinics or Brook Advisory Centres.

Any of these can refer you to a GUM clinic where you can be tested. Or you can contact your nearest large hospital and ask for an appointment with the GUM clinic yourself.

If you may have been exposed to HIV (the virus that causes AIDS), you should seek medical advice quickly as there is medication which can prevent HIV from taking hold in some people – but only if it is taken quickly after infection. This treatment, called post exposure prophylaxis (PEP), may be available from your nearest GUM clinic or hospital A&E department. You can find out more about PEP on the Terrence Higgins Trust website.

You can choose to have an HIV test separately. This will usually happen at a GUM clinic and you will normally be offered counselling before the test. Your GP can arrange the test for you, but if you are worried about confidentiality you can go direct to the GUM clinic.

For confidential advice about HIV, call the THT Direct helpline on 0845 12 21 200 (10am – 10pm Monday to Friday, 12pm – 6pm Saturday and Sunday), or the free 24-hour Sexual Healthline on 0800 567 123.

Telling the police

Only you can decide whether or not to report the assault to the police. If you don’t know what to do, we can talk with you about what it would mean and what your options are. You can report the attack to the police straight away, later, or not at all if you choose. If you report an attack soon after it has happened, however, it may give the police an opportunity to get physical evidence against your attacker that might be gone if you report the crime later. A police officer will take basic details from you. If the assault happened recently, the police will arrange an examination by medical staff to collect evidence. We know that an intimate examination might be the last thing you want after an experience like this, but it’s important to remember that it may give the police evidence to help convict your attacker. If you’re unsure about what to do, we can talk through your options with you and help you make a choice you feel comfortable with.

You may be near one of the growing number of sexual assault referral centres (SARCs). These are local partnerships between the police, health services and voluntary organisations set up to focus on your immediate support needs. They are independent one-stop centres where victims of sexual assault can get medical care and support while at the same time having the opportunity to help any police investigation (if you choose to report the crime). The centres include facilities for forensic examination to collect physical evidence. If appropriate, the police will ask you if you’d like to be referred, or you can go directly to the SARC yourself if you do not want to report the incident to the police.

The police will take further details from you only when you feel ready. The statement you make will be used as the main evidence if your attacker is caught and there is a court case. The police should arrange an interpreter for people who have difficulties with English.

You will be told the name of the officer dealing with your case. The police will let you know if someone is caught and charged and whether or not they are released on bail. You should tell the police if you are worried that the attacker will harass or intimidate you. If the police charge someone with rape or indecent assault, they pass the evidence to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) who prepare the case for court.

If you want, we can help you in your contact with the police and the CPS.

The court process

You may have to wait a few months for the case to go to court if someone is charged with raping or assaulting you. The police will send you a letter telling you the date of the hearing. If the person pleads ‘guilty’, you will not have to give evidence but you can still choose to go to court if you want to. The police or CPS should tell you what sentence has been given. If the person pleads ‘not guilty’ you may be asked to go to give evidence. If this happens, remember that you can take a friend for support, or we can arrange for one of our volunteers to go with you.

Going to court

If you have to go to court in connection with the attack, we have information on what to expect and how we can support you. Talk to one of our staff or volunteers and ask about the range of measures to help protect you and your privacy through the court process – we can give you details.

Other legal action

You can take out a private prosecution for rape or sexual assault or go to the civil court to sue the alleged attacker for damages. If you think you might want to do this you should consult a solicitor. If you are worried about your safety you should tell the police and you may be able to obtain an injunction to help make sure that your attacker stays away from you. When an offender is released or if your attacker is sentenced to one year or more in prison, the Probation Service must ask you if you want to be informed about plans for his or her release. You should tell the Probation Service if you have any concerns about this.


As a victim of sexual violence, you may be able to get Criminal Injuries Compensation. Normally the crime must have been reported to the police for you to qualify, but we can give you more information about this. Alternatively, click on the link here [Civil Action Link]

How to contact us

Most people are referred to us by the police when they report a crime. But anyone can contact us directly if they want to. You can also email or call the Victim Supportline on 0845 30 30 900 for support and information. We hope that you will get in touch with us, but if you decide not to now, you can call us at any point in the future.

Victim Support in Greater Manchester

Greater Manchester

0161 727 0240
North West region

The Victim Supportline is our national telephone helpline which handles over 15,000 calls a year. It’s a member of the national Helplines Association.

If you want to talk to us completely anonymously, you can call our Supportline without giving your name, address or phone number. You can hide your number when you call us by dialling 141 before our Supportline number (0845 30 30 900). You can also send Supportline an email using an anonymous email address. The Supportline is a member of the Helplines Association.

If you want to contact our Supportline, you should call 0845 30 30 900. Typetalk users should dial 18001 0845 30 30 900. To hide your number, press 141 before dialling our number.

Normal opening hours for the Supportline are:
8am – 8pm Mondays to Fridays
9am – 5pm Saturday

North West

Our North West region runs all our services across Cumbria, Cheshire, Lancashire, Merseyside and Greater Manchester.

If you need our help

call your nearest victim care team for help, support and information. All offices are open Monday to Friday from 8am to 8pm. To find out more about the kind of help we can give you, go to our ‘How we help’ pages.

01270 750 068

0845 241 1832

Greater Manchester
0845 456 8800

01772 201 142

0151 353 4025

Crisis Support

You know, if you feel in crisis and need to talk to someone then you can always call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 (24hrs) or in an emergency please dial 999 for free. There is always someone at the end of the phone that can and will help and although it may feel like it, your never on your own! Pick up the phone and reach out, please don’t suffer in silence

National Services


A national child helpline providing telephone counsellors to talk about anything.
0800 111


Nationally renowned charity campaigning and working to end child cruelty.
[email protected]
0808 800 5000

Regional and Local Services

42nd Street

Supporting young people under stress aged 14 to 25, in a safe enviornment. Various activities, services and groups available
[email protected]
0161 832 0169


Free confidential counselling, sex and sexual health advice to young people up to the age of 19 years old.
[email protected]
0161 237 3001

City Centre Project

Manchester based charity working with young people aged between 13 – 25 who need support with their personal growth and development towards adulthood and independent living.
0161 228 7654


A Manchester based drugs and alcohol service for young people aged up to 21.
0161 273 6686

The Blue Room

A creative arts engagement project working with young men aged 18 to 30 who are at risk of sexual exploitation.
07906 521 998


Information and advice on a wide range of issues for people aged 15 to 25 with stress and mental health issues.
[email protected]
0808 800 5000

Stakeholders and Funders

Helpline: 0808 800 5005