We Are Survivors has always believed that healing can happen in every environment, not just the traditional counselling room – in fact the roots of We Are Survivors are in a group of male survivors just coming together in a coffee shop to just be… survivors! So we understand that accessing services shouldn’t be about you coming to us but also us coming to you!
There are many barriers that people face in accessing support services, whether that is physical, psychological or cultural and so it is our belief that we have to not only have to ensure access to our building is easy but also that we go out and deliver our services in different communities.
After much work and effort, our Community Development Team have designed a range of activities which are our ‘Core Offer’ as follows:
- Drop In (Mon @ 2:00pm – 6:00pm & Tues @ 4:30pm – 07:45pm) – A space for clients to come along , have a brew a chat and connect with their peers, various activities available including art, board games, computer games.
- The Safe Room (Mon, Thu @ 6:00pm – 8:00pm) – A fortnightly confidential peer to peer support group . Can be accessed either face to face or online.
- The Yoga Studio (Tue @ 11:00am – 12:00pm) – A weekly yoga session in a safe, trauma informed space open to male survivors.
- Coffee Social (Tue @ 1:00pm – 2:00pm) – A chance to ‘go grab a coffee’ and socialise at various safe venues across the city.
- The Art Room (Wed @ 11:00am – 12:00pm) – Art sessions for all levels – Self led sessions either online or face to face.
- The Writing Room (Fri @11:00am – 12:00pm) – A weekly themed creative writing session. Attendees can share what they write or choose not to.
- Pretty Green at RHS Bridgewater (12:00pm – 3:30pm) – Get out of the city for a gardening session in beautiful surroundings at RHS, planting, and harvesting in our community plots.
- Health Walk (Thu @ 1pm-2pm) – A gentle walk with a small group to aid health and isolation.
In addition to our Core offer, we also offer ‘Building Community’ Three 1:1 sessions designed to build confidence prior to accessing our group activities. ‘ We know that joining a group environment can be difficult so these 1-1 introductory sessions can help make that step. You can book your ‘Building Community’ sessions with one of our helpful community service staff.
Along with our ‘Core Offer’, we also regularly team up with Home Mcr, Manchester City Art Gallery, Whitworth Gallery and other Greater Manchester institutions to engage in visits and also a number of time-limited projects.
If you want to know more about these and join our newsletter mailing list then our team on 0161 236 2182 or email [email protected]